Investing in a gaming chair is like spending the extra $8 to get more leg room on your cross-country flight. If you’re going to be in the seat for more than an hour, your body is going to thank you later for making the upgrade. Not only do gaming chairs provide ergonomic comfort, but they also prevent back pain and body aches one can experience with long gaming (or working) hours.
I found a website a couple weeks ago that really peaked my interest, and I decided to write this review on gaming chairs for adults based upon what I’ve learned so far.
In this article, I will discuss build and durability, customizable features, where to find the best deal when buying a gaming chair online, and share what the decision-making factor was for me. By the end of this review, you should have a good idea of whether a custom gaming chair is right for you.
First, let’s review the basics:
Here are some features that all brands appear to have in common:
1. Ergonomic Design – This is the primary reason gamers invest in a gaming chair. It’s purpose is to allow the body to withstand long hours in the chair without the back and body aches that otherwise inevitably follow.
2. Adjustable Back Positions – Most models seem to have adjustable back positions ranging from 90 to 180 degrees of recline. While most people will spend the majority of their time in a much smaller segment of that range, it’s said that the recline and ‘flat-back’ positions are simply meant to enable one to ‘stretch and rest.’
3. Adjustable Armrests – Armrests can be fixed, or adjustable by height (up and down), direction (left to right and/or front to back), and angle (surface degree). I agree with most testimony, that this feature alone is a major pain-saver. The typical office chair with adjustable armrests will generally have some ability to adjust in height, and maybe lift up out of the way, but the additional directional and angle adjustments on some models of gaming chairs may allow for position shifts that relieve tension from the neck down.
4. Lumbar and Headrest Cushions – Supposedly, these cushions do their part to keep you comfortable in your game chair for the long haul. Depending on the model, they may be loose, or attached by straps that allow you to slide the cushion up and down until it’s in the right position for you.
5. Adjustable Height – Now, of everything that I’ve listed so far, this is the most basic of the basics. This is notable, but expected. I’m not sure how a game chair would sell without it.
6. Base / Footrest – I could repeat what I just wrote for #5 here. I will note that with gaming chairs this is typically one in the same part. The base IS the footrest. What I did find interesting with this feature was the modification of each “foot” on some brands that widened at the surface, thereby ACTUALLY making it usable as a footrest.
All in all, the basic design does seem to have both comfort and longevity of use in mind.
Are Gaming Chairs Built For Durability?
Let’s take a look at some of the features that might determine durability:
1. Base Strength – In comparing different brands and models, I found all of the bases to be made of either Nylon or Aluminum. At first, I questioned the difference in material, but found feedback in support of both so long as the weight limit was not exceeded. Naturally, the aluminum base is rated to support more weight.
2. Max Weight Support – The Big and Tall section isn’t just for clothes! There are game chairs designed to support tall people and up to 450lbs! The max weight support of each chair differs and should be clearly stated in each product description. If you simply buy the chair with the appropriate weight limit, then you shouldn’t have any issues with it failing under normal and expected use.
3. Cover Materials – As you’ll see, there are definitely countless cover options. However, the basic material groups are fabric, polyurethane, and vinyl. Now, once you factor in style, you’re left to decide, in some cases, what’s more important? That super cool fabric design you have your eye on, or the extra life you may gain in the chair if you go with the highest rated vinyl? In my personal opinion, when investing in something you hope to have for a long time, you choose the material that is made to last the longest, then you select the style. But you may decide to choose your style over and above the strongest material, knowing that you may consequentially lose a little bit of life. Naturally, prioritizing is going to differ for everyone.
In addition to the basic features, there are selections that can be made to fit your personal preference:
1. Color – What is the point in buying anything customized if not to select your own color or design? There are quite a few out there to choose from, and with many models, the lumbar and headrest cushions are designed to match.
2. Style and Adjustability – As there are various styles and degrees of adjustment, you’ll want to select the best combination of options for your height and weight. Another factor you may want to consider is environment, which I’ll discuss further in a moment.
Some color and style options currently available at chairs4gaming:
Aren’t there always?
The 1st issue is that the cushions aren’t independently selected by you. Rather, different styles come with different chair models. So you get what you get.
The cushions are the one feature that seem to get the brunt of the negative feedback and constructive criticism in customer reviews. Here’s a quote from a product site:
“…not a huge fan of the pillows it came with. It straightens up my posture…”
Often times, people will return to the purchase site immediately or soon after they receive their product to write a review. While I can relate to wanting to share excitement of a new product, or lack thereof, it can be really beneficial to other shoppers to write a review after the product has been used a while.
I suspect that the negative response may be a bit unjust. We don’t know the context in which this is being said. Is this a brand new chair with brand new cushions that need to be “formed” a bit?
After reading a few more similar reviews, here’s the verdict:
Some people feel the cushions are not thick enough. Some people feel they are too thick. It seems to me that this is a preference issue more than a flaw.
Solution: If they’re not comfortable, don’t use them! You’re not out any money… they come free with the chair!
The 2nd issue that seems to come up often is shape, specifically in the shoulder area.
Due to a wildly popular style of gaming chair in recent years, the “winged back” or “racing style” chair, conflicting reviews have surfaced all but negating the claim that the style is anything close to ergonomic. New customers, as well as seasoned game chair owners, are proclaiming that the shape is restricting and promotes slouching. For those with larger frames or broad shoulders, there is apparently no ability to maintain good posture because the “wings” are in the way.
However, despite these claims, one of the best selling gaming chairs prevails with it’s race style chairback: the DXRacer Racing Series. A spike in DXRacers sales undoubtedly followed the recent surge of popularity, as the brand has been broadcast by gamers and streamers all over game platforms, YouTube and social media.
Solution: Don’t buy a racing or “winged back” style just because it’s popular!
Remember, there are MANY styles available and often times guides to help you find the right fit.
Are These Chairs Worth It?
This article may have you curious in taking a closer look at a product that you may not have otherwise considered. But I’m sure you’re wondering …
1. Are these chairs worth it?
2. Do these brands deliver on what they’ve advertised?
3. Are customers happy with their purchase???
Let’s take a look at some 5 star reviews I found online:
“… Worth every penny.”
“Huge upgrade from my last chair…”
“Fast and efficient delivery…”
“… great chair especially for the price…”
“… this chair is relieving my pain…”
“… very easy to put together.”
“Love the chair. The quality of materials used were better than expected…”
“… if you spend many hours a day in your office chair, this is the one you want.”
“… I would buy another one for sure.”
Things To Consider BEFORE You Buy
Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself during the selection process:
1. Are you an inside smoker? If so, I wouldn’t order the fabric cover as it will inhale all that smoke, and never let it go.
2. Do you have any kids? If young kids are going to be around this chair, you may want to think about accidents, spills and stains. Then go with the vinyl. It’s the highest rated for durability and the easiest to clean.
3. Do you have any pets? In contradiction to the choice you would make in #2, the fabric is the winner here as it is allegedly more resistant to claws (It’s also the cheaper one to replace).
4. Are you always hot or cold? Yes. Wait… do I pick one? If your body temp fluctuates, you may have to decide between fabric that pretty much stays room temp, or periodically sticking to or freezing in your chair. Okay, freezing might be a bit dramatic. Think about what your leather (or fabric) car seats feel like in the summer or winter. Which do you prefer, or wish you had? Personally, I like the PU or vinyl over the fabric, but I tend to get cold. My fix… a blanket!
5. Do you plan to eat or drink in this chair? Again. Stains. Go with the PU or Vinyl. Waterproof. Easy to clean.
Where Is The Best Deal Online?
To shop a WIDE selection of gaming chairs including multiple 5 star brands and models, you want to check out Chairs4Gaming. Here’s what they offer:
Over 150 different chairs in their online showroom…
Top Name Brands like DXRacer and AKRacing…
FREE shipping on all orders…
Promised delivery within 5 business days…
Next day shipping for USA and CANADA…
0% FINANCING AVAILABLE!
Now, one Amazon junkie to another… you can find some good options on Amazon, and have it delivered fast if you’re a Prime member. BUT, if you want one of these chairs WITHOUT the upfront bill, then Chairs4Gaming is the clear choice to take advantage of the 0% Financing. Also …
It’s worth noting that Chairs4Gaming provides:
- size guides
- assembly instructions
- student discounts
- military discounts
- tax-free purchases
- live chat support
- 2 year warranty on parts
- lifetime warranty on the frame
Based on this research and the number of positive experiences I’ve read about, my impression and understanding of gaming chairs has definitely evolved.
Here is the deciding factor for me: multiple accounts of testimony from people that have previously bought gaming chairs somewhere else exclaiming that these chairs are THE most comfortable gaming/office chairs you can buy.
As both a gamer and an office worker, I need a comfortable chair! (And I’m not giving tax advice here, but I’d totally put this receipt in my write-offs file. Maybe you can too?)
To find out whether a gaming chair might be right for you…
Get more info directly from chairs4gaming. Take a look now at some of the trending styles:
Custom Gaming Chairs: DXRacer Racing Series Learn about the history of DXRacer, and how to choose a custom gaming chair.
X Rocker Gaming Chair: The Foldable Gaming Chair! Just fold for easy storage!
We want to know …
Before reading this article, were you familiar with gaming chairs? Would you consider a gaming chair as your next office chair?
Leave your comment or question below!
Don’t forget to Like or Share this page!